VSA Arts Young Soloists Disability Scholarship
The VSA ARTS INTERNATIONAL YOUNG SOLOISTS DISABILITY SCHOLARSHIP AWARD, presented by VSA Arts – a non-profit organization in Washington D.C – is an endeavor to recognize and facilitate outstanding young musicians with disabilities internationally. The main aim of the annual award is to acknowledge the artistic achievements, assist & induce these artists to achieve a successful career. These are unknown scholarships for disabled students.
The VSA Arts International Young Soloists competition was started in 1984 to showcases the talent of artists with disabilities, to identify and associate four talented musicians annually – two from the United States and two from around the globe. Musicians performing with any type of music, vocal or instrumental, including – Rock, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Metal, Latin, Country, Regge and many more are recognize for the award.
The disability scholarship award provides the opportunity to the selected and gifted artists to perform at the John F Kennedy centre for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. The reward includes prize money of USD $5000 to support & help them achieve success in future.
• Any Individual Musicians or singers, who play musical instruments, compose or arrange music, do vocal performance, with a disability, can be nominated (self nomination as well) for the award. Disability (as per the Americans with Disability Act) would be a physical or mental impairment that would largely restrict a person from doing major life activities normally – it would mean the person suffers from one or more body system disorders which can be physical or mental).
• For US citizens the age limit is 25 or under and Non-US citizens with age 30 or under are eligible.
• Even Music bands with two to eight members, playing any type of music, can nominate themselves for the award. However one of the ensembles must have a disability to fit the criteria. Age limit would apply for all the members.
• Musicians have to submit the application forms with one page narration including biographical information and the reason for him/her to be the recipient of the award. The information needs to be related to the talent and not disability. Each application should consist of a recording of three recent performances.
• Normally the completed applications from US applicants should reach the organization by November 15 and International applications by December 01. For US applicants they have to submit their entries in the respective state affiliates. All the entries received by the state affiliates are considered for national competition. The winners are announced annually in February. The applications forms are available for the individuals and ensembles in various languages at the website.
The VSA ARTS INTERNATIONAL YOUNG SOLOISTS AWARD advisory committee has been formed for the selection process. The committee includes music professionals, teachers & educators from across various musical areas. The process normally is conducted during January each year.
Each applicant has to provide one recording of the recent performance in CD, DVD, VHS or audiotape format with the application. These recordings are evaluated by the advisory committee in the areas of technique, tone, rhythm, interpretation and intonation (if applicable).
As the tag line of the organization says “creating a society where people with disabilities can learn through, participate in and enjoy the arts” – The VSA ARTS INTERNATIONAL YOUNG SOLOISTS DISABILITY SCHOLARSHIP AWARD is one means to recognize and honor such talented musicians from across the globe. Any queries related to the award can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.